|Version 56 (modified by graziano, 4 years ago)|
News about the project is available in the Replicant website. You are currently in the Wiki section, which is the user edited section - feel free to contribute by creating an account and editing pages now!
This section of the site is a wiki and as such anyone can edit the pages here. When doing so, please bear in mind that we are a FREE SOFTWARE project.
* HTC Dream * Nexus One
We are currently focussing on HTC Dream and Nexus One, for several reason:
- Both phones have versions that permit the user to become root if he wants to: only a few phones comes with root privilegies, or a mecanism that permit the user to become root. (If you know about another android phone that comes with root by default please let us know on irc or mailing list.)
- They are well supported in the AOSP(android open source project), that is to say, part of the hardware libraries are released under a Free Software license
- The Replicant developers have either the HTC Dream or both phones.
Note that T-Mobile G1 is no longer for sale.
If you own a different phone, adding support for it could be doable especially if your phone is very similar to what we support or you have full / partial hardware libraries source code.
Current Status By phones
Actually the best phone to run Replicant is the HTC Dream.
- HTC Dream status: AndroidStatus
- Nexus one status: preliminary evaluation of the port has been done, The initial sources need to be published and then the real work will start
Replicant source code
The Replicant source code is currently hosted at gitorious. For the branch descriotion, see the Builds Howto
How to build and install Replicant
Htc Dream (replicant 1.5)
- Here's how to build your htcdream image: BuildAndroid
- Here's how to install your htcdream image InstallAndroid
Htc Dream (replicant 2.2)
- Here's the build howto: BuildDream
- Here's what proprietary libraries and firmwares were shipped on the htcdream and the status of their replacement: ProprietaryHtcDreamLibsReplacement
Nexus One (replicant 2.2)
- Here's the build howto: BuildNexusOne
- Here's what proprietary libraries and firmwares were shipped on the nexusone and the status of their replacement: ProprietaryNexusOneLibsReplacement
Replicant Software Center - a libre market application
Replicant Software Center is a fully free software market application to download and manage free software apps on Replicant.
By default it downloads libre apps from its own repository. We are working together with our friend Ciaran, main FDroid developer, on a Replicant repository.
Previously Graziano had its own repository for testing purposes: http://sorbaioli.org/repo
We are focusing now on merging all these efforts.
List of Free Software applications
We're building a list of all known Free Software applications for the Android platform.
Libre software replacement for non free Google apps
* Google Market -> APKtor
* Gmail -> K9
* Google Talk -> Sipdroid?
* Youtube -> works in replicant 2.2 in browser(uses the mobile version of youtube which uses rstp(no flash) )
* Genie Widget (also known as News/Weather widget) -> NEWS part: BBC News or NPR News. WEATHER part: ?
(OLD INFO) previous tentative to build a market app using SlideMe? 1.0 and codeJVending
- We're working an a free software market for Android called FLOSS Dispenser based on SlideME 1.0CE.
- FLOSS Dispenser is designed to work with JVending, an implementation of the J2EE Client Provisioning Specification.
We meet on an IRC channel, #replicant on irc.freenode.net.
Here's the mailing list
GNU/Linux on the HTC Dream
The replicant project is no longer involved with stock GNU/Linux port on the htcdream, that doesn't mean that the port is not developed anymore, it just means that it's done in the SHR project rather than in the replicant one.
Starting Points for Using Trac
- TracGuide -- Built-in Documentation
- The Trac project -- Trac Open Source Project
- Trac FAQ -- Frequently Asked Questions
- TracSupport -- Trac Support
For a complete list of local wiki pages, see TitleIndex.